“Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device ” error can get a bit overwhelming and a bee in a bonnet But we have proven fixes to help you boot up your computer seamlessly. A lot of users dealing with this kind of error appearing on the black screen before the Windows logo and can’t boot up to reach their essential files.
Whether you’re on an Asus, Dell, or Hp machine this error can get triggered out of nowhere may be of corrupted bios, a physically damaged boot device, or due to alternating the critical windows settings. Let’s have a keen eye for the causes and 10 proven fixes to quickly get rid of this error in no time.
Also check A TechSavvy Website
What does the “ reboot and select proper boot device ” error mean?
The “reboot and select proper boot device” is simply the description of bios failure featuring that the BIOS is unable to find the proper boot device that contains the OS file. You’ll get the prompts to restart the system and automatically get into the system bios settings to find the proper boot device for windows.
To fix the error you should know the main reason for its cause, it can be physical damage to the hard disk or a software issue. Error description might be a little bit changed for various models. Below we’ve featured the main causes for the following errors and their proven fixes.
Our Guide Will Guarantee Your Recovery From Following Errors
- “Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device ”
- “Disk Boot Failure: Insert System Disk And Press Enter”
- “Error: No boot disk has been detected or the disk has failed”
- “Default Boot Devices Missing Or Boot Failed”
- “Boot Device Not Found”
- “Partition not set as active”
- “Hard disk failure”
- “Operating system not found”
If any of the above errors get triggered the need to be worried about it because we’ve the best fix to properly boot up your windows.
What causes reboot and selects a proper boot device?
The foremost thing to look for is the cause of the error, once you’ll get the main cause for the boot failure error then it’ll be a piece of cake to fix it following our guide.
- Hard disk damaged or dead
- SATA cables or power cable is loosely attached
- SATA Slot or Cable is damaged
- Due to dust on the connectors
- Wrong Boot Order
- Wrong Default Boot Device
- Corrupted Operating System
- The inactive main OS partition
- Legacy Boot Mode Activated
These are the most common and possible causes that give rise to “reboot and select a proper boot device”.If you have another cause related to this problem give a shot to the discussion section, we’ll try our best to help you.
You might be thinking to fix it by yourself once you have detected the main cause of the error but it can get confusing and irritating. We have gotIt can get overwhelming to find the exact solution, that’s why we have the proven fixes which ourself we have applied and get the job done. Trust me, It’ll save a bunch of your time.
Also Check our Guide on the best motherboards for i9 9900k.
You can also jump to the specific solution using the context table featured above.
How to fix the “Reboot and Select proper Boot Device” error?
Here’s a quick fix to recover from this error, there’s might be a chance that :
Following Fixes are Applicable to :
OS: Windows 7/8/8.1/10
Machine Model:Asrock, Asus , Dell , Toshiba and Hp etc.
1. Check If Hard Disk Is Properly Connected And Is Dust Free:
The most common fix for the “Reboot and Select proper Boot Device” error is to make sure that your boot disk is properly connected and is dust-free.In case of a faulty SATA cable or loosely connected disk, the operating system will not be loaded.
- Turn Off Your Computer
- Open the System Case
- Remove CD/DVD Room and any other USB connected to the system
- Reconnect the Data and Power Cable of your hard disk, make sure it is well connected.
- Turn on the computer, touch the hard disk with your hand and feel the spinning. If the hard disk is spinning it means that it is getting power. If it is not spinning the chances is there cable or disk is damaged.
- If you noticed a faulty or damaged wire, Change it with a new SATA cable.
You can buy SATA cable online for under 5 $.
- After changing the connectors, restart your system.
If the error is solved, pat on your back and give yourself a medal. In case of the error Reboot and select proper boot device SSD, follow up the same procedure.
If the error is continuing there’s a chance that the boot disk might be damaged or dead. Follow up on the next fix to make ensure that the hard disk is live!
2. Check If the Hard Disk is Dead or live
In many cases, there’s a possibility of physical damage to the boot media which can cause the select proper boot device error. Follow the below procedure to check if the hard disk is working fine.
If you don’t want to get involved in technical recovery USB solution, then Here comes the time when a friend in need is a friend indeed saying become relevant.
- Disconnect Your Hard Disk
- Attach it to your friend’s system with a second SATA cable
- Boot Up your friend’s system using his hard Disk
- Open File Explorer To Check If It appears
Open Disk Management to check the hard disk appearance
If the Hard disk is still not appeared in your friend’s system then the conclusion will be that the hard disk has died. Ask the technician to fix it or to replace it with a new one.
But if the Hard Disk appears in the other system then, there might be a chance of windows file corrupted or wrong boot order which is fixed below.
3. Check If There’s Wrong Boot Order:
Another common cause for the “reboot and select proper boot device on new pc” error is due to the boot priority to other devices. Here’s how to fix it :
Shutdown your computer
- Turn it on again
- On the BIOS Logo, immediately pressed the keyboard key for entering BIOS. In most cases, F2, F12, F10, Del, or Esc are used to enter BIOS settings.Some BIOS versions have these keys appeared on the screen to help you choose the appropriate key.
- Find “Boot Order”, “Boot Sequence” or “Boot” something like that
- Select Boot Order
- Change the Boot Order, Use the arrow keys to move the specific device to the priority, and when it is done use enter key to do it.
- Press F10
- Goto File>Save Changes and Exit
- Restart the Computer
“Reboot and select proper boot device Asus” or other model error might be due to the wrong boot order which is fixed in this section. The steps are similar for most of the bios, while the options can be found at various places inside the boot settings. Find it and set the appropriate boot order.
Even after setting the boot order, there’s a chance that the error continues. It might be due to the Boot Mode which can be legacy and UEFI, let’s see in the next solution how to fix it.
4. Disable the Legacy Support:
Legacy Boot Mode is the normal boot-up method of OS using a USB, it is seen that the error “reboot and select proper boot device ASRock and on other machines can be caused to the enabled legacy mode which bypasses the UEFI mode.
Some bios like the Asus have a dual-mode.Let’s see how it actually is done in hp bios. As the steps are similar to other bios, if you triggered any complications just don’t hesitate to ask in the comment section,
- Shut down the Computer
- Turn it on Again
- On the BIOS Logo, immediately pressed the keyboard key for entering BIOS. In most cases, F2, F12, F10, Del, or Esc are used to enter BIOS settings. Some BIOS versions have these keys appeared on the screen to help you choose the appropriate key.
- Goto Security > Secure Boot Configuration
- Press F10 to Accept
- Disable Legacy Support
- Goto File>Save Changes and Exit
Disabling Legacy Support might help you recover reboot and select the proper boot device on a new pc in most cases. Even After doing so and the error continues then it might not be a bios configuration issue or try applying the default settings for bios and restart again.
5. Apply the Default Bios Settings :
If you’ve just messed up with the bios settings, or the above configurated didn’t fix it then try setting up the default settings for bios.
- Restart Your Computer
- Goto Bios
- Select Apply Defaults and Exit
6. Activate Inactive Primary Partition:
If the primary windows media is inactive then there are more chances of the appearance of error “reboot and select proper boot device” windows 10 USB recovery mode can be a life savior in this case. Using the Diskpart tool you can set the partition to be inactive stat using our how-to points featured following:
- Set up Windows 10 bootable USB
( if you don’t know how to make bootable disk , in step 2 we have featured it )
- Open up the Recovery Options
- Open the Command Prompt
- Type (select the appropriate OS installed disk)
select disk 0
- Type (select the appropriate OS installed disk)
select partition 1
After entering, it’ll active the partition which is deactivated. Restart your computer to check if the “reboot and select proper boot device” error is solved.
7. Try To Install Fresh Windows:
If the operating system files are corrupted or missing, “the reboot and select proper boot device or press any key” error can still be generated to the bad OS. The best solution to every problem is the reinstallation of windows.
If you have a registered version of windows and you bought it from Microsoft, I recommend asking them for the recovery. You’ll probably be well assisted in this case.
- You can also install windows by yourself easily using bootable USB media.
- Download a fresh Windows 10 iso image.
- Make a bootable USB media using a 3rd party software like Rufus.
- Restart Your Computer
- Goto Boot Menu
- Select USB media disk from there
- Start Installing the Windows
There’s a high percentage positive chances of getting recovered from the boot failure error if the bios are well-configured and hard disk is detected by the system. There is also possible damage to the MBR file which can be recovered without installing the windows. So, if you don’t want to lose any of your essentials, Check the below solutions.
8. Fixing MBR File:
Master Boot Record is essential to every operating system to load the proper boot device. Corrupted MBR might cause “reboot and select proper boot device windows 10” so to easily fix it follow up the below steps.
- Insert the Windows Installation Media
- On the Windows 10 installationthe bootable RufusUSBlect Troubleshoot on the left bottom
- Open up CMD
- Type the followings
This is one of the best methods, we’ve found worked for the error “reboot and select proper boot device dell “ in most cases.
9. Using EasyRE essentials to fix it automatically:
Easy RE is an incredible tool to help you perform the automated repair and fix most of the errors that cause “reboot and select proper boot device “.
- Take a USB
- Download a Copy of EasyRE fix
- Make the USB booteable with the EasyRE disc image
Tip:You can use the rufus tool to make the bootable usb.
- Select the Automated Repair
Check the video to use the EasyRE to check the Harddisk
- After repairing , you’ll get a list featuring errors related to hard disk and RAM.
10. Change CMOS Battery:
Changing CMOS will reset the BIOS configuration , which might help you recover from this error. This is also seen that most of the errors are triggered due to bad CMOS.
- Turn off the system
- Open the system case
- Find the CMOS battery
- Remove it by pressing the metal holder attached in the case of the installation thea attery
CMOS batteries are inexpensive and can easily be bought from the new computer accessories shop.
In this guide, we’ve featured proven fixes to help you recover from the error “reboot and select proper boot device “.The cause of the error is mostly seen due to the damaged OS or hard disk which is fixed in this article. Reboot and select proper boot device Reddit faqs are also solved in this guide.
If you didn’t find a solution in this guide, or you have relevant errors please leave a comment. We’ll try our best to help you with your error.
Do visit techbizidea to read more interesting blogs.