What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Building Construction Types?
If you have no idea of construction types, materials required in the project, types of labor to be used, and everything included to design a building, this is a fit article for you! Contractors and firefighters have a special eye on how they see buildings. The equipment used for floors and roofs displays a lot of information, and the design and building of exterior walls also show a lot.
Project bidding software helps contractors to come up with modern building construction types that will withstand fire challenges. Architects, mostly those involved in fire recovery, understand that building construction types are important.
With facts regarding safety, building knowledge, and fire-proof, knowing the five types of building construction is an important section of a contractor’s assignment.
Read more to know the building construction types, their advantages, and their disadvantages.
Type 1 (IA and IB)- Fire-Resistive
If you use so much energy to view the top of a building, most likely, it is in this category. Fire-resistive constructions apply to towering structures with a few freaks and bluster, the highest fire-proof out of the five building types.
Type I construction contains features like;
- At least 75 feet in height
- The structures are made of reinforced concrete and steel surfaces with fire-proof material.
- They contain columns, floors, and roofs, which make it almost impossible to create a hole in the roof of the structure.
- Due to its lack of ventilation, in case of fire, there is a challenge due to the thick, allay glass of the windows.
- Both types of this construction are fire resistive.
Type 2 (IIA and IIB)- Non-Combustible
Most of the time, type 2 construction is seen in newer designs or commercial buildings that have undergone modernization. The structural factors are made of only non-combustible materials.
Non-combustible construction has features like;
- Strengthened masonry walls or tilt walls as the building’s exterior walls.
- Floors and walls are fire-resistive.
- In most cases, floors are covered and lightweight, and roofs are lather-insulated with a metal building.
- But, these types of construction do not have a tendency for long life like type 1 buildings, when the aspect of fully fire resistance.
- Non-combustible types of construction do not have any particular fire-proof policies.
- Type 2 buildings are modern structures; therefore, they are updated with fire suppression specifications and codes.
Type 3 – Ordinary
It is common in the old structures, but you can still find it in new buildings. In this type of construction, you will realize non-combustible equipment in structural factors like exterior walls and roof formations made of typical materials like wood.
Ordinary construction contains features like;
- Lightweight roof backed by reinforced masonry.
- Older structures have a typical roof formation and brickwork walls that are not stiffened.
- They contain up to 2-3 stories, not more than six stories.
- Roof formations contain parallel chord joists and codes.
Type 4 – Heavy Timber
Heavy timber structures are older buildings that employ large dimensional reels as structural constituents, internally and externally.
Normally, we know that timber is flammable and burns quickly. But these buildings contain a special fire-proof nature due to the large capacity of the timber planks used. Heavy timber buildings contain 8 inches in diameter walls.
Type 5- Wood-Framed
Wood-framed constructions can use flammable materials in their exterior walls. It is usual for many structural components in this type of construction to be made of wood. Generally, if the walls are wood-framed, they apply to the roof.
In case a fire arises, this type of building can fall quickly.
This is an amazingly popular construction system for new, one-family homes without considering the danger of critical damage in a fire.
The various types of building construction need different standards and must attain other codes. And in case of fire, they all require various actions to be taken.