WHAT IS THROMBOSIS?
There are several blood disorders that can occur in the body. In this article, we are going to talk about what is thrombosis:
WHAT IS THROMBOSIS?
Thrombosis can be defined as a medical term for any blood clotting that may be in the blood vessels. Is the term used to define the blockage that occurs due to the clotting of blood in the blood vessels.
WHAT ARE THE TWO TYPES OF THROMBOSIS?
The following are the two different types of that may occur in the blood vessels:
- VENOUS THROMBOSIS
- ARTERIAL THROMBOSIS
As the names suggest, venous occurs when the blood clotting occurs in the veins; and arterial occurs when the blood clotting occurs in the arteries.
WHAT ARE THE CAUSES OF THROMBOSIS?
There are different reasons why venous and arterial may occur. The following are the causes of venous thrombosis:
- Disease or injury that had occurred in the veins of the legs
- Wrong dosage of a medicine or usage of a wrong medicine
- Genetic history
- Autoimmune disorders that lead to the clotting of the blood
- Usage of birth control medicines
Arterial may be caused as a result of the hardening of the arteries. This occurs when fatty or calcium deposits cause the arteries to thicken. This fatty material build-up can eventually lead to a rupture in the artery and blood clotting. Arterial can also lead to a heart attack.
WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS OF THROMBOSIS?
Symptoms may vary from body to body. However, the common symptoms of are as follows:
- Constant pain in the calf or inner leg
- Swelling in the leg or arm
- Pain in the chest
- Sudden and unexplained change in your mental state
- Numbness or weakness on one side of the body
WHAT ARE THE RISK FACTORS THAT MAY LEAD TO THROMBOSIS?
Many risk factors for both venous and arterial are almost the same and overlap each other.
RISK FACTORS FOR VENOUS THROMBOSIS
- Family history of blood clot disorders
- Usage of birth control pills
- Injury or trauma to the vein that may occur from surgery, broken bone or other reasons
- Lack of movement after any surgery or a long trip
- Being obese and overweight
- Other health conditions like cancer, cardiac disease, lung disease etc.
RISK FACTORS FOR ARTERIAL THROMBOSIS
- Chronic diseases like diabetes
- Lack of activity or immobility
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- Poor diet and no intake of a balanced diet
- Family history of arterial
HOW IS THROMBOSIS TREATED?
There are several factors on which your doctor will create a treatment plan for you. These factors are as follows:
- Age, medical history, overall health
- The severity of your medical condition
- Predicted severity of your condition in the future
The following things can be a part of your treatment:
- Blood-thinning medicines
- Catheters in order to widen the affected blood vessels
- Medicines that may help in stopping the clotting of blood
IS THERE ANY WAY TO PREVENT THROMBOSIS?
Is a preventable medical condition. You can reduce the risk of developing by:
- Being active
- Exercising your legs
- Quitting smoking
- Managing your weight and losing it
- Managing other health problems like diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, etc.